Thursday, December 14, 2006





A BOXER'S NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS

by Ace Blazer


Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the house,
My children were sleeping
And so was my spouse.
I sat 'neath the glow
Of my trusty desk lamp
Near midnight, finishing
One last hand-carved stamp.

As I whittled away,
Tiny pink pieces falling,
I smiled to myself
On that cold night, recalling
An old man I'd met
In the mall's parking lot
A few nights ago
Who was in a tight spot.

He'd seemed somewhat dazed
As he paced back and forth,
Mumbling to himself
"Now which way is North?"
I thought "Ah! A Boxer!
I know just what to do!"
And, pointing straight up,
Said: "I haven't a clue!"

His kind, bearded face
Grew a puzzled expression
And I realized this man
Didn't share my obsession.
It seems that I'd gotten
Our signals quite crossed;
He was no Letterboxer-
He simply was lost!

I asked the old gent
If he needed a ride.
With a wink and a smile,
"No, thanks" he replied.
"I'm a long way from home-
Thank you for caring-
I was last-minute shopping
Now I've lost my bearing."

"I can help you" I said
And without further thought,
From my bags I pulled out
A new compass I'd bought.
"I want you to have this
Your need's greater than mine.
I've a new one at home,
It will serve me just fine."

"Thank you" he said;
"This is just what I need."
I smiled as we parted;
I'd done my good deed.

Back in the present,
My carving now done,
I rose from my chair;
It was now half-past one.
I wondered where I'd hide
my new Yule-themed box
When there came from my door,
Three or four gentle knocks.

I opened the door
And there in the cold,
Was a brand-new compass
With a case of pure gold.
Attached was a note
Written neatly in red:
"Thanks for helping. -S.C."
Was all that it said.

I stood alone, puzzled
As I looked around
And then from afar
Came a jingling sound.
I then heard a voice
I'll recall til the end:
"MERRY CHRISTMAS
AND HAPPY BOXING, MY FRIEND!"

You should always help
Others in need, for you see,
You just never can tell
Who they really may be!